“It was the first time all year that he did his homework. He was so proud of himself!”
A local school principal told me this, two days after launching the new after school program in our neighborhood. She was referring to a student who was one of the first to enroll in “Clubhouse Kids.”
For however long God has this ministry for us, I will not forget those words. Those words made me sad (that he hadn’t done his homework at all for the first half of the school year). And those words made me excited, not just that he did the work, but that he felt great about himself because he had been wanting to do it all along.
Maybe, just maybe, this is the start of something wonderful, for him and for a dozen other children in our community. And you can be a part of it.
Why Be Involved?
I didn’t know that this boy had never done his homework. If I did, I would probably have been the one who sat with him, to be sure he got it done. But it wasn’t me, and it wasn’t my wife, and it wasn’t Morrell Stokes (the other key leader of Clubhouse Kids) who helped him
The person who lovingly and patiently guided him through his homework was our first volunteer from outside the neighborhood. Before anyone else, she committed to serving two afternoons a month, bringing her elementary-age son, and 2-year-old daughter.
I’m glad that it was her, and not me, who helped this boy with his work. so 1) I couldn’t take credit, and 2) she could realize she was a part of something huge.
Maybe not huge in the grand scheme things, but huge in this boy’s life.
As we continued with Clubhouse Kids over the past couple of weeks (and added more children each day), we love seeing the excitement of the children who come in. (And their teachers tell me that they love seeing the children excited about going to after school.) But even more, we love seeing them have their educational, emotional, and social needs met by caring volunteers.
We believe that life change happens through the gospel and through caring relationships. And we believe that you will be a part of life change if you join the Clubhouse.
What We Do
We meet every Monday and Thursday, at Long Branch Baptist Church (28 Bolt St), in the Greater Sullivan Neighborhood. Here’s a general schedule of our afternoons:
- 3:00 – 3:20 –> Snack
- 3:20 – 3:40 –> Outside Activity (get the energy out!)
- 3:40 – 4:00 –> Devotion and Circle-Time
- 4:00 – 4:15 –> Reading (because most kids — and adults — read less than five books a year)
- 4:15 – 4:55 –> Homework
- 4:55 – 5:30 –> Activity (board games, Lego, outside, arts and crafts, etc)
We have something for everyone!
For those interested, the main theological ideas we want to teach them (during the devotion, and otherwise) are:
- God made you and God loves you.
- We are all sinners and don’t deserve God’s love.
- God sent His only Son Jesus to die for our sins.
How You Can Partner With Us
There are several ways that you can partner with us:
- Volunteer: By serving for just 2-4 hours per month, you can have a meaningful impact. We especially need help for reading and homework time, but whatever works for you is perfect! And if you have kids, bring them with you! They can “serve” by being a friend, and they can set a good example during homework time.
- Feed: We are looking for a few more groups to provide snacks once per month.
- Donate: We can only sustain this ministry thanks to the generous financial support of so many. You can make a one-time or recurring donation by clicking here (and designating your gift for “Elevate Youth”).
Join the Clubhouse Kids!