I’m not the most encouraging person around. Anyone who knows me knows that I don’t give praise liberally. So when I give you a recommendation, you know that I must really like that service or product.
And I’m telling you that Little Steps is one of the best organizations that I’ve ever worked with.** Don’t take my word for it. Check out their proven results:
- 24% of teen mothers in SC have repeat pregnancies. For teen moms enrolled in Little Steps, that drops to < 2%.
- 38% of teen mothers in SC complete their high school education. For those participating in Little Steps programs, that jumps to 97%.
I’ve had the pleasure of facilitating a young father’s class at Little Steps since September (the curriculum was provided by another organization, but it’s held at Little Steps with a lot of their support). I’ve seen first-hand the impact that this program can have.
The curriculum is good, but I wouldn’t consider it revolutionary. Then again, I take for granted the amount of parenting resources I’ve had access to over the last 13 years.
The biggest value of this program is that it provides encouragement and community for young parents. So when a dad shares that he doesn’t hang around former friends who would be a bad influence on his daughter, I tell him to keep making that decision. And when a dad shares that he was angry with his boss, but he kept his mouth shut so that he can keep providing for his family, I can smile and tell him, “I’m proud of you!”
What You Can Do
Little Steps can use your support, and your support would be a worthwhile investment. You can volunteer your time (a few hours a week, or a few hours a month), provide meals for the class members and facilitators, and/or donate your money.
- Volunteer. You can see a list of volunteer opportunities on the Little Steps website. Here are some ideas:
- Yard work (flexible schedule)
- Childcare (during evening classes)
- Consignment volunteers (twice per year)
- IT support (as needed)
- Feed. Could you provide one meal for a small group of class participants and facilitators? (Tuesday or Thursday evenings)
- Give. As any non-profit, your financial contribution ensures the sustainability of this program.
As you consider how you will invest your time and resources, you will be inspired by this documentary, Small Steps:
**Shout out to my friends Katie and Suzie for getting me connected to Little Steps!